My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

We have 4 or 6 children depending on how you count them. We are involved in Christian ministry. We participate in the Sunday morning children's ministry program at our local church. And we participate in various evangelistic outreaches.

Friday, February 03, 2006

Faith Works and James Two (Part 4)

In this post I will continue with my consideration of James 2:14-26.

In verse eighteen James presented a hypothetical challenge to the person who claims to have faith but does not have any works to prove that his faith is genuine.

(James 2:18 NASB) But someone may well say, "You have faith, and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works."

If we claim to have faith but our faith does not result in good works, then we are leave ourselves open to this challenge. To the one who claims faith but has no works the challenger may well say, "You have faith, and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works." J.B. Phillips’ paraphrase is helpful at this point.

A man could challenge us by saying, "You have faith and I have merely good actions. Well, all you can do is to show me a faith without corresponding actions, but I can show you by my actions that I have faith as well."

In other words, the challenge is for the one who claims to have faith but does not have works to demonstrate (or give evidence) that his faith is real without works. Clearly, this is an impossibility. It cannot be done. You cannot prove that you have faith by saying, I have faith. Faith must be demonstrated in actions. In fact the lack of good works tends to prove the lack of true faith. On the other hand if a person has genuine good works his good works provide evidence that his faith is genuine.

Everyone who claims to have faith must ask himself, can I show others my faith? How do I show that I have true faith? Can others see my faith?

I’ve heard parents instruct their children to be seen and not heard. In his epistle, James was confronting professed Christians who, when it came to their faith, were heard and not seen. True faith is not one or the other. True faith must be seen and heard; and probably in that order.

Next, James turned his attention to intellectual faith.

(James 2:19 NASB) You believe that God is one. You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder.

Knowing certain things about God and even believing these things are true is not the kind of faith that saves.

True biblical faith has three elements: knowledge, agreement, and trust. To be saved a sinner must know certain things about God, and agree that these things are true, but that is not enough. James said, the demons also believe, and shudder. What do the demons believe? He says that the demons believe, that God is one. This is the basic truth of Judaism and Christianity. Monotheism, the belief that there is only one God, is the foundation of all biblical truth. Yet affirming all biblical truth is not enough to save. In addition to knowing the truth and believing the truth, the sinner must trust fully in the Person and work of Jesus Christ alone to be saved.

So far then, James has identified two kinds of faith that are insufficient to save. First he dealt with the kind of faith that is merely a said faith or a claimed faith that does not result in good works. He asked, can that kind of faith save? The answer is no. Second he dealt with the kind of faith that is merely intellectual. Knowing and believing certain things about God does not save. True saving faith is trust, not in anything that the sinner can do to earn or deserve his salvation, but in the finished work of Jesus Christ alone. And genuine faith in Jesus always results in good works and holiness. The kind of faith that does not result in good works and a righteous life is not the kind of faith that brings a sinner into a right relationship with God. It is not saving faith. It is the kind of faith that demons have.

It should be noted that it is not God who needs to see good works to know if the sinner’s faith is genuine. God sees the saving faith and declares the sinner righteous immediately. But saving faith is accompanied by the Holy Spirit coming into the life of the believer. Therefore, the believer can no longer live in sin. A changed life is the necessary result of saving faith. If the life never changes it is because the Holy Spirit is not there. It is because there was never genuine faith.

(I John 3:5-10 NASB) And you know that He appeared in order to take away sins; and in Him there is no sin. No one who abides in Him sins; no one who sins has seen Him or knows Him. Little children, let no one deceive you; the one who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous; the one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning. The Son of God appeared for this purpose, that He might destroy the works of the devil. No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious: anyone who does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor the one who does not love his brother.

(I John 2:4, 6 NASB) The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.

Now tell me, Doth this offend you?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home